The Historic Preservation Committee of the Mahoning Valley Historical Society is seeking nominations for its annual Historic Preservation Awards program.
The Historic Preservation Committee of the MVHS Board of Directors is pleased to announce the winners of the 2017 Historic Preservation Awards. These awards honor those in Mahoning and Trumbull Counties who take an active role in preserving historic buildings, sites, and districts. The categories and winners are as follows:
Community Revitalization Awards
The construction of the church building began in 1908 and was completed in 1913. The project included repairs and refinishing of the original exterior wood, brick, limestone, granite and terracotta to allow for the building to stand for another 100 years. The basilica has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1979.
In 1996 the Poland branch of Home Savings and Loan wanted to demolish a small vacant house on College Street. A concerned group of citizens worked together to save the 1860’s home, keeping it part of the historic fabric of the Village. The citizens group formed the Poland Preservation Society and undertook a renovation of the home which included a new roof, replacement of exterior siding with historically accurate hardy board, and removal of a modern east side porch returning its doorway to a window for the dining room. Interior work included new plumbing, upgraded wiring, a new furnace, plaster repair and painting. Rental of the home paid off the construction project loan, and the Preservation Society continues periodic maintenance of the house.
Mark Peyko, one of the panel judges remarked: “The project was/is important because it illustrates how grass-roots concern and initiative can change an outcome. It also shows that preservation can be achieved through education and dialogue. Moving a powerful entity (with site control) from demolition to preservation is no small feat. The house is a small, but significant, example of successful grass-roots preservation.”
Beginning in 2008 St. Patrick’s Church undertook an eight-year project to repair and restore the stained glass windows of the church building which was built in 1924. The project included all of the windows from the small one foot by three foot side windows to the large window over the front door which covers half of the façade. The windows were removed and taken to Studio Arts & Glass in North Canton, Ohio for repair and re-leading. While the windows were out, all of the frames were re-painted and any rotted wood was replaced. After the restored windows were re-set, new protective coverings with vents were installed to equalize the temperature between the storm windows and the glass, enhancing and lengthening the life of the windows.
Commercial Revitalization Award
Peter Allen Inn – Kinsman, Ohio
Built by Willis Smith, a significant architect in the Connecticut Western Reserve, the Peter Allen House was completed in 1821. The three year restoration project included leveling the building, replacing the sill-beam and re-laying the exposed foundation stones above ground. The original 12 over 12 pane windows were restored; all fireplaces were rebuilt to current code; the interior and exterior woodwork was stripped of paint and refinished; and the interior plaster was removed to allow for re-wiring, installation of a geo thermal HVAC system, fire suppression system, and foam insulation. The sub roof was dry-rotted and was rebuilt and re-shingled using historically accurate slate-like material. The front façade of the home is the architectural prize, and care was taken to restore the wood trim and architectural details. All modern conveniences for the event space are located outside the original home’s footprint, and every effort was made to blend new spaces with the old.
Dr. Tom Leary, a Associate Professor of History at YSU and a member of the judging panel, remarked that this was an innovative and sensitive repurposing of a property that posed a number of significant restoration challenges. It is also, in his opinion, one of the most important buildings in the Western Reserve, and probably the most significant project that has ever received a Historic Preservation award.
The winners will be honored at the Mahoning Valley Historical Society’s 142nd Annual Meeting to be held on Tuesday, June 20th from 5:30 to 8:00 p.m. at the Tyler Mahoning Valley History Center, 325 West Federal Street in downtown Youngstown. The public is invited to attend the dinner, cost is $28 for MVHS members and $32 for guests.
The Historic Preservation Committee of the MVHS Board of Trustees is pleased to announce the winners of the 2013 Historic Preservation Awards. These awards honor those in Mahoning and Trumbull Counties who take an active role in preserving historic buildings, sites, and districts. Awards will be presented at the Mahoning Valley Historical Society’s Annual Meeting, Tuesday, June 18th, 5:00 p.m. at the Tyler Mahoning Valley History Center, 325 West Federal Street in Youngstown. The categories and winners are as follows:
Henry Barnhisel House – 2013 Community Revitalization Award
The Girard Bicentennial and Historical Society purchased the Greek Revival, Henry Barnhisel House in 1975. The house had been altered into apartments in its first 100 years. Preservation included new mechanical systems, removal of post 1840 interior walls, doorways, and windows, chimney repair, and a new handicap bathroom. The completed first floor opened in 2003, the upstairs in 2007. Reconstruction of the original 1820’s rear wings began in 2007 and was completed in 2009.
Brookfield Township Cemetery – 2013 Community Revitalization Award
The Brookfield Township Cemetery, also known as the Brookfield Center Cemetery, was set aside in 1806 by the original purchaser of the township from the Connecticut Land Company, Judge Samuel Hinckley. In 2009, the Brookfield Township Historical Society decided to restore the oldest section of the cemetery. Volunteers come back each year to continue work, and records have been restored by reading and photographing each marker. Five markers for Revolutionary War veterans have been placed. There are presently eleven Revolutionary War veterans buried at the cemetery.
Pollock Mansion – 2013 Community Revitalization Award
Built in 1893, the house was designed by Charles H. Owsley, a prominent Youngstown architect and gifted to Porter and Mary Pollock in 1897 on the event of their wedding by the bride’s father, Paul Wick. The mansion was expanded in 1930, and the family occupied the house until 1950 when they gifted the entire estate to Youngstown College. The College used the property for various academic and administrative functions and in 1987 converted it to an 81 room hotel and added a major addition. The adaptive reuse project’s objectives were to remove all additions and alterations of the 1987 hotel and return the mansion to the 1930’s state. Exterior restoration included correction of structural defects, conservation of art glass, repairs to wood siding, replacement of natural slate roof, and rebuilding of chimney forms with original brick. Interior finishes including plaster and wood were cleaned and repaired, original pieces of the grand staircase were salvaged and reconstructed, and the original kitchen and scullery were returned to service.
North Bloomfield Town Hall – 2013 Community Revitalization Award
The North Bloomfield Town Hall was built on the town green in 1893. Originally built with a sloped floor & fixed theater seats, once the central high school was built in 1926, the stage in this building was no longer needed. Sometime in the 1940’s the fixed seating was removed, and the floor was leveled. The North Bloomfield Historical Society was formed in 1999 with a top priority of saving this building. After a capital bequest, an ADA restroom was installed and adapted to match the existing character of the building. The building sees regular use for square dances, presentations, dances and meetings.
Idora Historic Homes (YNDC) – MVHS Board of Directors’ Award of Achievement
In 2012-2013 the Youngstown Neighborhood Development Corporation completed three rehabilitation projects of formerly vacant historic homes with distinct architectural character representing popular styles during the early 20th century. These homes include 765 Lake Drive, 867 Lanterman Avenue, and 820 Canfield Road. The preservation plans ensured that the historic and architectural significance of each home was preserved while including energy efficient construction and rehabilitation upgrades to ensure the affordability and sustainability of each property. The scope of work included the installation of energy efficient replacement windows that matched the design of the original wood and glass-leaded windows, preservation of existing masonry, preservation and painting of wooded shake siding, salvation of original brass hardware, restoration oak pocket doors and wood floor refinishing.
In celebration of National Historic Preservation Month, here are some previous award winners from the Valley. 2013 Award winners will be announced on May 22, 2013 and awards will be presented at the Historical Society’s annual meeting, June 18th 2013.
Mill Creek Metroparks has been the recipient of three Historic Preservation Awards over the years, here are the projects:
2006 Community Revitilization Award – Kirk Road Trailhead, Mill Creek MetroParks Bikeway
Located on the former Niles and New Lisbon Railroad right-of-way, this project, designed by Ronald Cornell Faniro Architects, AIA, and Mill Creek MetroParks Chief Landscape Architect Stephan Avery, preserved two historic 1930’s structures and incorporated them into a 21st century use as facilities to serve the Great Lakes to River Bike and Hike Trail running through Mahoning County. The two restored buildings, one built in 1934 by the Federal Emergency Relief Administration and the other built in 1938 by the Works Progress Administration, gained new life upon completion of this project. A shelter for trail users, built to look like a railroad depot, echoes the building stone used to construct the 1930’s era buildings. One judge remarked that this addition showed “sensitivity to the site,” while another complimented the “integration of old and new buildings.”
2006 Directors Award of Achievement – Volney Rogers Memorial Statue Restoration, Mill Creek MetroParks
Dedicated on October 12, 1920, this statue serves as a reminder to local residents of a visionary who created a place for residents to enjoy nature and escape the rapidly industrializing City of Youngstown. In 1918, the Youngstown Chamber of Commerce formed a committee to honor Volney Rogers for his tireless efforts to establish and protect Mill Creek Park. The committee commissioned Chicago sculptor Frederick C. Hibbard to create a bronze statue of Rogers. After more than 80 years and significant deterioration, Mill Creek MetroParks, with support from the Mill Creek Park Foundation, hired a conservation firm to inspect and suggest methods to restore the statue. The subsequent restoration included flushing remaining casting materials out of the statue and cleaning of the bronze exterior. A wax coating applied by the conservators will remain in good condition due to training of park staff to maintain and repair the coating as needed. One judge stated that the preservation of this monument “stands far and above as a project worthy of recognition.”
2008 Community Revitilization Award – Mill Creek MetroParks Suspension Bridge
The Valley Drive Suspension Bridge was constructed in 1895 by the Youngstown Bridge Company and is the oldest surviving bridge in MillCreekPark. The bridge was designed under the direction of Charles E. Fowler, the Youngstown Bridge Company’s Chief Engineer. The bridge was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976 and is a prominent, contributing element in the Park’s Historic District designation.
Work on the project consisted of surface preparation, priming and field painting of existing steel bridge members, replacement of missing or damaged steel members, removal and replacement of the timber plank sidewalk decking, cleaning and repointing of stone masonry, cleaning and patching of concrete structures and construction of new asphalt concrete approaches and wearing course. Proper containment and complete enclosure of the structure was undertaken as cleaning and painting occurred. All rusted, missing, and damaged steel framework members were cleaned, repaired, replaced and repainted using historically accurate dimensions and detailing.
Mill Creek MetroParks designed and completed the rehabilitation work in conformance with the National Environmental Protection Act, the National Historic Preservation Act and the U.S. Secretary of the Interior’s standards and guidelines for historic preservation.