MVHS Announces Historic Preservation Award Winners
The Historic Preservation Committee of the MVHS Board of Trustees is pleased to announce the winners of the 2013 Historic Preservation Awards. These awards honor those in Mahoning and Trumbull Counties who take an active role in preserving historic buildings, sites, and districts. Awards will be presented at the Mahoning Valley Historical Society’s Annual Meeting, Tuesday, June 18th, 5:00 p.m. at the Tyler Mahoning Valley History Center, 325 West Federal Street in Youngstown. The categories and winners are as follows:
Henry Barnhisel House – 2013 Community Revitalization Award
The Girard Bicentennial and Historical Society purchased the Greek Revival, Henry Barnhisel House in 1975. The house had been altered into apartments in its first 100 years. Preservation included new mechanical systems, removal of post 1840 interior walls, doorways, and windows, chimney repair, and a new handicap bathroom. The completed first floor opened in 2003, the upstairs in 2007. Reconstruction of the original 1820’s rear wings began in 2007 and was completed in 2009.
Brookfield Township Cemetery – 2013 Community Revitalization Award
The Brookfield Township Cemetery, also known as the Brookfield Center Cemetery, was set aside in 1806 by the original purchaser of the township from the Connecticut Land Company, Judge Samuel Hinckley. In 2009, the Brookfield Township Historical Society decided to restore the oldest section of the cemetery. Volunteers come back each year to continue work, and records have been restored by reading and photographing each marker. Five markers for Revolutionary War veterans have been placed. There are presently eleven Revolutionary War veterans buried at the cemetery.
Pollock Mansion – 2013 Community Revitalization Award
Built in 1893, the house was designed by Charles H. Owsley, a prominent Youngstown architect and gifted to Porter and Mary Pollock in 1897 on the event of their wedding by the bride’s father, Paul Wick. The mansion was expanded in 1930, and the family occupied the house until 1950 when they gifted the entire estate to Youngstown College. The College used the property for various academic and administrative functions and in 1987 converted it to an 81 room hotel and added a major addition. The adaptive reuse project’s objectives were to remove all additions and alterations of the 1987 hotel and return the mansion to the 1930’s state. Exterior restoration included correction of structural defects, conservation of art glass, repairs to wood siding, replacement of natural slate roof, and rebuilding of chimney forms with original brick. Interior finishes including plaster and wood were cleaned and repaired, original pieces of the grand staircase were salvaged and reconstructed, and the original kitchen and scullery were returned to service.
North Bloomfield Town Hall – 2013 Community Revitalization Award
The North Bloomfield Town Hall was built on the town green in 1893. Originally built with a sloped floor & fixed theater seats, once the central high school was built in 1926, the stage in this building was no longer needed. Sometime in the 1940’s the fixed seating was removed, and the floor was leveled. The North Bloomfield Historical Society was formed in 1999 with a top priority of saving this building. After a capital bequest, an ADA restroom was installed and adapted to match the existing character of the building. The building sees regular use for square dances, presentations, dances and meetings.
Idora Historic Homes (YNDC) – MVHS Board of Directors’ Award of Achievement
In 2012-2013 the Youngstown Neighborhood Development Corporation completed three rehabilitation projects of formerly vacant historic homes with distinct architectural character representing popular styles during the early 20th century. These homes include 765 Lake Drive, 867 Lanterman Avenue, and 820 Canfield Road. The preservation plans ensured that the historic and architectural significance of each home was preserved while including energy efficient construction and rehabilitation upgrades to ensure the affordability and sustainability of each property. The scope of work included the installation of energy efficient replacement windows that matched the design of the original wood and glass-leaded windows, preservation of existing masonry, preservation and painting of wooded shake siding, salvation of original brass hardware, restoration oak pocket doors and wood floor refinishing.