The University Library is named for the late William F. Maag, Jr., a Harvard graduate, trustee of Youngstown College, and editor and publisher of the Youngstown Vindicator.
The Maag Library at Youngstown State University was designed by C. Robert Buchanan and Associates and George Tanner Smith and Associations. Taking almost three years to complete, the building officially opened in 1976. Contemporary in design with a light, airy look, the $6.6 million, six-story structure is constructed of reinforced concrete, decorative brick, stainless steel and tinted glass windows. One of the most unusual aspects of the building is its half or split-level devoted entirely to book stacks. The interior was designed by Kerry Forbes of campus development to provide color against the neutral concrete and brick background. The construction and wall-to-wall carpeting was designed to deaden sound and promote studying.
The Library now stands on land once part of the estate of Henry and Mary Arms Wick. In 1928, a YMCA school opened and in 1933 the University purchased the land. The area was site to the old Central, West and East Halls which were razed in 1972 to make way for a new library. Maag Library also administers the Curriculum Resource Center in the Beeghly College of Education and the Rose Melnick Medical Museum in Melnick Hall.