Volunteers are the backbone of any non-profit organization – assist in the archives, educational programs or collections.
Contact the Curator of Education to apply
Archives and Library
- Word processing and transcription of historic diaries, documents, military records;
- Alphabetize donor lists and aid Archivist with data entry of museum donations;
- Enter data from Yearbooks, Civil Court Files, City Planning Collection, legal ledgers, and military ledgers including Tod Post #29 (Civil War);
- Sort, photocopy and file newspaper clippings and family collections;
- Aid in organizing family collections, new donations and photographs;
- Locates files, photographs, books and other documents for use by researchers
- Assists Archivist with patrons during regular hours of operation, including weekends
- Researches answers to mailed inquiries from patrons in other cities and states – includes county and local history and genealogy.
Education and Public Programming
‘Museum in a Suitcase’ Presenter
- Present suitcase programs to students at local schools when available (mileage refunded);
- Work closely with Curator of Education to develop additional suitcase programs, and supplement existing ones.
Education Projects (Great experience for retired teachers and education majors)
- Work closely with Curator of Education to create and implement history-based workshops, classes and children’s programs;
- Aid Education Department in development of Education Collection (artifacts for use in educational programs and hands-on activities);
- Develops educational materials such as pre and post visit activities for schools based on current exhibits;
- Aids Curator of Education in installation of interactive education components for exhibits.
Curatorial Volunteer (Requires additional interviews/screening and three professional references)
- Research and catalog various types of artifacts including nineteenth century textiles, tools, Native American collections, glassware, artwork, etc.;
- Aid Manager of Collections and Registrar in safely boxing artifacts in archival boxes;
- Create padded hangers and dust covers for clothing collections (involves sewing);
- Aid curatorial staff in computer data entry of artifacts into collections software.
Exhibit Research and Fabrication (Great experience for those interested in art, architecture, museum work and fashion merchandising)
- Work closely with Manager of Collections and exhibit team to research exhibit content (includes collection research);
- Aid in installation of exhibition (involves installation of graphics, artifacts, and artwork in galleries; if interested, can involve some building of exhibit furniture.)
- Attend exhibit openings.
Business and Media Archives of the Mahoning Valley
- Aid Project Manager in computer data entry of media-related artifacts
- Aid MVHS Administrative Assistant in bulk mailings (sorting and labeling);
- Photocopy museum guide materials; aid in bulk photocopying;
- Enter data into prospective member lists (data entry.)
- Aids MVHS in preparation for event (setting up)
- Represents MVHS to visitors, members, and prospective members at events;
- Helps to implement fun and interactive activities, such as craft tables, at MVHS open houses and family events