2016 Historic Preservation Awards
The Historic Preservation Committee of the Mahoning Valley Historical Society Board of Directors is pleased to announce the winners of the 2016 Historic Preservation Awards. These awards honor those in Mahoning and Trumbull Counties who take an active role in preserving historic buildings, sites, and districts. The winners will be honored at the Mahoning Valley Historical Society’s 141st Annual Meeting to be held on Tuesday, June 21st from 5:30 to 8:00 p.m. at the Tyler Mahoning Valley History Center, 325 West Federal Street in downtown Youngstown. Reservations can be made by calling the Historical Society at 330-743-2589. The evening includes a dinner, the MVHS annual business meeting and the Historic Preservation Awards presentation. Cost is $28 for MVHS members; $32 for guests.
Three projects will receive Commercial Revitalization Awards:
The Technology Belt Energy Innovation Center
Downtown Warren, Ohio
In 2011, The Technology Belt Energy Innovation Center (TBEIC), a business incubator aimed at the development and commercialization of early stage energy technologies, investigated sites for their programs. They selected the historic 1924 Kresge Building. Kresge, the predecessor to K Mart, was a “five and dime” chain of stores. The design-built team worked with the client, TBEIC, to design spaces serving the high technology needs of their innovators, while at the same time protecting the historic character of the Kresge store. The design incorporates a series of small work rooms, training rooms and offices that float within the original retail space. New elements such as a “gateway” at the bottom of the stairs continue this function and stand in playful contrast to the restored elements of the space, such as the plaster ceilings and a historic corridor. The project designer was Bruce W. Sekanick, Philips|Sekanick Architects, Inc.
The Wells Building on West Federal Street in downtown Youngstown was constructed between 1915 and 1917 and has been listed on the National Register since 1986. Originally built for business and commerce, the Wells Building fell vacant and deteriorated badly over the years. Through the recent efforts of the Youngstown Area Community Improvement Corporation and Strollo Architects, and in cooperation with the Ohio Historic Preservation Office and its tax credit program for the rehabilitation of historic structures, the Wells Building was saved from demolition. The restoration project on the 29,500 square foot building included a mixed use of basement storage, new first floor office space for Strollo Architects, and four new apartment units on each of the three floors above. Restoration work was done on the terra cotta cladding, the wrought iron fire escape, and 50% of the original wood windows (most were missing or beyond rehabilitation and were replaced with appropriate materials). A façade renovation dating from the 1950’s was also rehabilitated, respecting that more contemporary period’s use of porcelain enamel panels, aluminum storefront, and signage. Although there were few remaining interior historic elements requiring rehabilitation, the historic basement metal panel doors and stairs, and the first floor historic column capitals and stamped metal ceiling panels received the same careful attention as the exterior so that the Wells Building would be in complete conformity with the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Historic Preservation. The project designer was Strollo Architects.
The Wick Tower in downtown Youngstown, Ohio, is an historic treasure designed by Chicago architectural firm Daniel H. Burnham & Co., and constructed from 1906-1910. The thirteen-story office building was designed in the Romanesque revival style and constructed of brick and terra cotta on a steel structural frame. Brothers Myron C., George D., and Fred H. Wick financed and owned the 13-story skyscraper which served as the home of the Wick Brothers Trust Company as well as other family businesses.. In 2015, the tower was rehabilitated in a project that converted the building to residential uses. The renovation complied with the Secretary of Interior’s Standards for Preservation, receiving federal IRS Tax Credits and State of Ohio Historic Preservation Tax Credits. Interior work included the reconfiguration of upper floors with restoration of the main spaces on the first floor and basement. The original interior marble sheathing was polished in the main lobby and hallways; and the mail chute for all thirteen floors, as well as the mail collection box in the lobby was restored. Many historic details on the exterior façade remained, although extensive restoration of the ornate terra cotta cornice was required. Replacement windows were installed throughout, and historic window openings were restored in the commercial storefront on the first floor. The building is owned by NYO Property Group, project designer was City Architecture.